Proper care of your teeth is essential for a good overall health. Brushing is very important for healthy teeth and gums. Regular brushing your teeth helps you to prevent many periodontal disease by reducing the chances of cavities.
But brushing alone is not sufficient for good oral health. Brushing with a right toothbrush and with a proper technique is an important aspect of dental care. Your mouth contains several germs and bacteria so it is necessary to brush, floss and rinse your mouth properly. Important points like brushing, cleaning of tongue, cleaning of cheeks and floor of your mouth should be given apt importance.
Some of the common brushing mistakes that we do are as follows:
• Using a hard bristle toothbrush- It can damage your gums quite badly. So always use soft bristle toothbrush for brushing your teeth.
• Using one toothbrush for a long time- It makes its bristles spray out which decreases it’s cleaning power. It is suggested to replace your brush in every 2-3 months.
• Brushing with an improper technique- While brushing you should move your brush in a circular manner and make a 45 degree angle to the surface of teeth.
• Clean your mouth completely- Brushing with systematic approach is also necessary for cleaning your teeth. You should brush top, bottom, front and back and clean all the surface of your mouth including the gum lines.
• Brushing with a lot of force- It can be very harmful for your oral health and can also result in bleeding gums. So avoid aggressive brushing.
• Lack of time for brushing- We should thoroughly brush our teeth. Give at least 2-3 minute for brushing. It does not mean we should keep on doing it continuously, but adequate time should be devoted.
• Larger quantity of toothpaste cleans efficiently- It is completely an age-old practice. Oral health is not dependent on how much toothpaste you use.
• Brushing immediately after eating acidic food- It can have dire consequences to your enamel. So it is better to rinse your mouth after eating acidic food and brushing little later.
It is important to brush your teeth twice in a day especially before going to bed in night. Thoroughly rinse your toothbrush and using a proper size toothbrush is also very necessary. Brush your teeth effectively by keeping these points in mind in order to ensure a good dental health.